SAN LUIS VALLEY - According to a recent document from State Senator Larry Crowder, interest has reignited in renaming what is now known as La Garita Natural Arch or La Ventana Arch. If renamed, the arch would be known as the Royal Arch. La Garita Arch (and Eagle Rock, included in the same area), are located about 15 miles north of the town of Del Norte and within the La Garita Wilderness. In the Rio Grande National Forest Report No. 878 from the 50th Congress - Senate of the United States, 1888, the Department of the Interior was referred a bill (S. 2427) to establish a public park, to be called and known as Royal Arch Park. The Department of the Interior reviewed the bill and records and provided the following response: "The bill provides for the establishment of a public park in the State of Colorado to be called and known as Royal Arch Park." Initially some 5,760 acres were earmarked for the park.